- 1 lb. (500 g) Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 2 cups (500 mL) apple juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) cubed butternut squash or pumpkin
- 1 cup (250 mL) young tender arugula (rocket) leaves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fat-free salad dressing
In a saucepan, combine the Brussels sprouts, apple juice and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook just until the sprouts are tender yet firm when pierced at the base, about 15 minutes. Drain well.
Cut pumpkin flesh or butternut squash into cubes and roast in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork. Put aside in a bowl.
Cut the Brussels sprouts lengthwise into thin slices. Add the slices to the pumpkin cubes or butternut squash and mix them gently together with fat-free dressing.
Divide the arugula among individual plates. Spoon the vegetables over the arugula and garnish with the chopped walnuts. Serve while still warm.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional information Per serving:
- 209 calories
- 6 g protein
- 11 g total fat
- 1 g saturated fat
- 3 mg cholesterol
- 28 g carbohydrate
- 6 g dietary fibre
- 302 mg sodium