This recipe for Walnut Stuffed Salmon packs a heart-healthy punch as both salmon and walnuts contain omega-3 fatty acids. The addition of brown rice and spinach rounds out the nutritional balance and boasts delectable flavour.
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) minced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups (1 L) chopped spinach
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked brown rice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon zest
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) shredded old cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped walnuts
- 1 lb (500 g) salmon fillet, skinned and pin bones removed
- In large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook until tender but not browned, about five minutes. Stir in garlic, spinach, salt and pepper and cook just until spinach starts to wilt, about three minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add cooked rice to spinach and stir in lemon zest until well combined.
- Spread spinach mixture evenly over salmon and sprinkle with cheese and walnuts. Roll up gently using toothpicks or butcher’s twine to secure.
- Place walnut stuffed salmon on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet and bake in a 375ºF (190ºC) oven until fish is cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer to cutting board and let rest 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with steamed seasonal vegetables or a green salad.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
- 378 calories
- 24 g protein
- 24 g total fat
- 5 g saturated fat
- 11 g polyunsaturated fat
- 7 g monounsaturated fat
- 57 mg cholesterol
- 17 g carbohydrate
- 4 g fibre
- 419 mg sodium