Begin this years holiday baking with this amazing, healthy, fresh cranberry-orange zest loaf that will be sure to bring the biggest smile to you & yours! Enjoy for breakfast with a drizzle of maple syrup or fresh homemade cranberry compote! Or if you have a sweet tooth, enjoy it in the evening warmed up with your favourite holiday beverage!
- 2 tablespoons flax meal + 5 tablespoons water
- 2 cups Organic Spelt Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ceylon or regular ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice *about 3 large oranges
- 1/3 cup organic coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil melted
- 2 tablespoons organic applesauce
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened non-dairy milk I like to use unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon orange zest grated
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 & 1/2 cups fresh cranberries chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts (optional) * I used pepitas
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a loaf pan with @chosenfoods Coconut oil spray or non-sticking spray of choice.
In a medium bowl, add flax meal and water. Let sit in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, place flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Stir until combined.
When the flax eggs are done, add juice, coconut sugar, coconut oil, applesauce, non-dairy milk, orange zest, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
Pour the wet ingredients in the large bowl of dry ingredients. Mix until just combined! Do not overtax. Fold in cranberries and walnuts/pepitas (if using). Pour batter into lightly greased loaf pan.
Bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees F. Remove pan; reduce heat to 350 degrees F. Cover pan with foil; bake for 15-20minutes until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
Remove from the oven; let it cool in the pan for 10-15minutes before removing.
Serve warm with cranberry sauce or maple syrup; if desired!
Make sure to slice the loaf to desired thickness before placing in the freezer as it is much easier to de-thaw and serve!
Recipe derived and adapted by @emilieeats