A 5-minute, 3-ingredient, 1-pot healing tea tonic with ginger, lemon, turmeric, and cayenne. The perfect way to detox the body, recover from a cold, or relax before bed.
- 1 Tbsp (packed // ~6 g) fresh grated turmeric (or ½ tsp ground, though fresh is best)
- 1 Tbsp (packed // ~6 g) fresh grated ginger (or ½ tsp ground, though fresh is best)
- 1 lemon, juiced (~3 Tbsp or 45 ml), plus leftover rind
- optional: 1-2 tsp maple syrup (can sub stevia or raw honey if not vegan)
- optional: Pinch cayenne pepper (or cracked black pepper which many readers have commented helps with the bioavailability of the turmeric!)
- 3 cups filtered water
- To a small saucepan, add turmeric, ginger, lemon juice and leftover lemon rind, maple syrup (optional), cayenne (optional), and filtered water. I personally didn’t think it needed any sweetener, but sweeten to taste.
- Bring to a simmer (not a boil) over medium to medium-high heat (~3 minutes). Then turn off heat.
- Set a small strainer over serving glasses and divide between two mugs. Enjoy. If the tonic is too potent for you, dilute with more hot/warm water.
- Store (strained) leftovers in the refrigerator up to 2-3 days. Reheat on the stovetop until just warm.