Does the sunshine have you thinking salads and frozen yogurt? Try this lentil salad. Use it as a side or make some extra to take for lunch the next day.
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup dried green lentils
- 1 small cucumber, diced (1 small cucumber is about 2 cups)
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup halved, pitted kalamata olives
- 1 small red onion, diced (1 small onion is about 1 cup)
- 2 tbsp fresh minced dill
- 1/4 cup fresh minced parsley
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional, leave out to make vegan or dairy free)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon)
- In a medium size saucepan, combine the broth and lentils over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce to low, cover, and simmer until the lentils are tender and the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Once lentils are cool, combine with cucumber, tomatoes, olives, onion, dill, parsley, and feta (if using) in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
- In a small jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Close and shake until well-combined.
- Pour dressing over the lentil mixture, and toss to coat. Serve immediately, or refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the flavors to meld.
The feta adds a rich, savory taste to the salad, but if you’re dairy-free, you can leave it out and still have a delicious salad.