Will you pick up some maple syrup at the Elmira Maple Syrup Festival this year? Pick up some butternut squash as well. Cheddar cheese, maple syrup, and turkey bacon dress up mashed butternut squash for a delightful side dish.
- 1½ pounds butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded, and cut into 1½-inch cubes (3 cups)
- 2 ounces aged white Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated ( ½ cup)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage or ½ teaspoon dried sage, crushed
- 2 slices turkey bacon, cooked according to package directions
- Prep 25 m
- Ready In 40 m
- Cook squash cubes in a covered medium saucepan in enough boiling water to cover about 15 minutes or until tender; drain and return the squash to the hot saucepan.
- Using a potato masher or electric mixer, mash the drained squash. Stir in Cheddar, sage, and maple syrup. Chop the cooked turkey bacon and sprinkle atop the squash.