- 3 thick slices bacon, cut into small strips
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 ounces kale, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 to 3 cups shredded cooked turkey or chicken meat
- 4 to 5 cups turkey or chicken broth, ideally homemade
- Gruyere or Parmesan cheese, to serve
- Place a heavy 5-quart or larger pot over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring frequently. When it has released much of its fat, but before it has gotten crispy, add the diced onion, minced garlic, and the bay leaf. Cook, stirring frequently, for at least 5 minutes, or until the onion has softened and become golden.
- Add the kale, handful by handful, stirring to coat it with bacon fat. If it won’t all fit at once, keep stirring until it wilts down. Sprinkle the kale lightly with salt and pepper and the smoked paprika. When all the kale has been added, stir in the shredded turkey or chicken meat, and cook for an additional 5 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring frequently to make sure that the kale is coated with the bacon fat and letting the onions and shredded turkey brown slightly.
- Add the broth and bring to a simmer, then lower the heat. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the kale has wilted and the soup is hot.
- Serve with shredded Gruyere or Parmesan cheese, if desired.