Taking just minutes to make, Indian spices and transform fresh tomatoes into a rich and flavorful dish.
prep time 5 MINUTES
cook time 16 MINUTES
total time 21 MINUTES
- 8 tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 green chili’s, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- Fresh cilantro , chopped
- Bring a pan of water to a low simmer.
- Score an X with a knife on the bottom of the tomatoes.
- Add the tomatoes to the water and heat on a low simmer for 5 minutes until you see the peel start to remove. Drain the tomatoes and allow to cool until you can handle, then peel the skins. Chop the tomatoes, set aside.
- To a sauté pan add the oil over medium heat. Add the cumin, mustard powder, turmeric, chili powder, chilis and garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, salt, sugar and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer for 5 more minutes until thickened. Serve garnished with cilantro.
This recipe yields 4 cups/1 quart/1 liter