This creamy kale dip with avocado is an easy and delicious way to include more vegetables in your diet. It is made using roasted kale as well as avocado and naturally low in fat cottage cheese for an extra creamy finish.
- 100 g kale chopped, use both leaves and stem
- 1 avocado ripe, peeled, deseeded
- 3 tbsp cottage cheese
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- ¼ tsp onion granules
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tbsp water
- fine Himalayan salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C/ gas mark 4. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the kale over the top. Season lightly and drizzle over 1 tablespoon of the oil. Rub the kale with your hands until it’s evenly coated in the oil, then spread over the baking sheet again (in a single layer) and bake for 7-8 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Combine the kale with the other ingredients, including the remaining oil, season to taste and puree until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer into a bowl, adjust the seasoning and serve.
- It is important not to roast the kale for too long. If it browns too much it may become bitter.
- Adjust the amount of water to your preference.
- You want to use less lemon juice.
- If you use a food processor your dip will be creamy but with specks of kale in it (as in the photos). If you use a high speed blender the specks might be less visible (this will not affect the taste). This is down to personal preference.
- Storing: Best served immediately but you can refrigerate it in an air tight container for up to 2 days.
- You can chill the dip for 30 minutes before serving but this is not necessary.
- Not suitable for freezing.