servings: 6 SERVINGS prep time: 10 MINUTES cook time: 30 MINUTES
total time: 40 MINUTES
Full of flavor and so simple to make, this Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili is a wonderfully satisfying vegetarian meal! Best served with avocado chunks, cilantro and cornbread.
- ▢1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- ▢1 medium onion, diced small
- ▢2 garlic cloves, minced
- ▢1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- ▢2 tablespoons mild chili powder
- ▢2 teaspoons cumin
- ▢2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ▢1 teaspoon salt
- ▢28 ounces diced tomatoes, with their juices, OR fire roasted tomatoes
- ▢(2) 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- ▢2 cups water
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the olive oil. Saute the diced onion for 3-4 minutes, until translucent, then add in the garlic and sweet potato and cook about 2 more minutes.
- Next add the chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika and salt. Stir into the vegetable mixture.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes along with their juices, drained and rinsed black beans and the 2 cups of water. Stir to combine. Simmer the mixture, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes.
- Use the back of a spoon to mash some of the sweet potatoes for a thicker texture, if desired.
- Serve with avocado chunks, cilantro, chopped green onions, vegan cornbread or vegan sour cream.
- For oil free, simply use water to saute instead of oil.
- May substitute peeled/chopped butternut squash for the sweet potato, if desired. You could also add 2 cups of baby spinach or chopped kale.
- To make in an Instant Pot: Use the saute feature and cook the onion, then the garlic and sweet potato, then the spices just like in the regular instructions. Turn off the Instant Pot for a moment and add the diced tomatoes, black beans and water. Stir, then seal and set the timer to 8 minutes at high pressure. Release pressure manually, and serve with desired toppings.
- To make in a Crock Pot: Add all ingredients to a crock pot and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- The recipe can easily be doubled or even tripled to serve a large crowd.
- The chili freezes well and will keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.