A healthy and hearty slow cooker turkey quinoa chili with sweet potatoes, black beans, and warm spices. Easy to make, great leftover, and healthy too!
PREP: 10 mins COOK: 5 hrs 5 mins TOTAL: 5 hrs 15 mins
SERVINGS: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 small sweet potatoes (or 2 large) peeled and diced (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 1 can black beans (15 ounces) rinsed and drained
- 1 can beer (12 ounces) I used an IPA; any dark or amber beer would be great too! or substitute additional low-sodium chicken stock
- 2-3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- For serving: cilantro avocado, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, and sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium high. Add the turkey, onion, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Cook and stir, breaking up the turkey as you go, until the turkey is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chili powder, chipotle chili powder, and cumin, then transfer to the bottom a large slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker, add the chopped sweet potatoes, quinoa, beer, 2 cups chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, and black beans. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours, until the potatoes are tender. Stir in additional chicken stock if the chili is thicker than you would like (I added about 1/2 cup extra). Serve warm with desired toppings.
- Leftover slow cooker turkey quinoa chili can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or frozen for up to three months.
- If you are doubling this recipe it WILL NOT FIT in a 6-quart slow cooker. Borrow a second one, place part in a smaller crock pot, or upgrade to a larger size. You’ve been warned.