These can be prepped ahead, stored in the freezer and enjoyed as a breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack. They can be defrosted in minutes in the microwave, or made crispy by reheating them in the oven. They are also affordable, nutritious and uber delicious. Win, win, win.
So, what in the world are you waiting for? Make these Black Bean & Sweet Potato Burritos for your next meal prep session, stash them away in your freezer and sit back and let deliciousness ensue any time you’d like.
- 6 large sweet potatoes (peeled and sliced)
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 4 cups cooked black beans
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 2 tsps cumin
- 3 tbsps tamari
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (or more to taste)
- 10 brown rice tortillas (11 inches)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Place sweet potatoes in a steamer over boiling water and cover. Let steam for 7 minutes, or until tender. Mash with a potato masher.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet and sauté the onion and garlic until soft. Set aside.
- In a bowl, add black beans and mash with a potato masher. Mix in the sauteed onion and garlic, corn, bell pepper, water, mustard, cumin and tamari until thoroughly combined. Season with salt as needed.
- Divide the mashed sweet potato and black bean mixture evenly between the tortillas and fold into burritos.
- If eating immediately, heat the burritos in the oven at 350oF for 10 to 12 minutes or until warmed through. Wrap the remaining burritos in foil and freeze in a freezer-safe bag. See notes section for instructions on how to reheat.
- Reheat in the oven at 350oF for 30 minutes from frozen (or less if already defrosted), then unwrap and return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes for a crispy wrap (optional).
- Reheat in the microwave by removing the foil from defrosted burritos and microwaving for 1 to 2 minutes (times will vary depending on the power of your microwave).
- Make it spicy by adding more chilli powder, cayenne pepper, hot sauce and/or sliced jalapeno.
- Serve them with Greek yogurt, sour cream, feta cheese, tomatoes, avocado and/or salsa.
- If you don’t have brown rice tortillas, you can use any type of tortilla instead.
- You can use refried beans to save yourself some time.